Saturday, June 4, 2011

Musical Practice and Meditation

The act of practising music is a very odd sort of thing. Musical practice is meditation-- it's a time when you can just sit, breathe, and listen. It's a dance, too. Your arms moving away from your centre, towards you again, forward, back... And then your own body swaying with your violin, hunched over your double bass, caressing against your guitar. You're enveloped in sound, but still, I find that when I practice, it is more about a quiet peace than constant reverberating sound waves that echo back and forth and back and forth.

Music practice is what gives me quiet in my day. I read once that one of the most important parts of a day-to-day routine should be to always find time for quiet. Quiet gives you space, it gives you time, it gives you thought, and it gives you energy. To find the time to practice, even just 1/2 and hour of just open strings on my cello, or a C-major scale on the piano, that is my time for quiet, for peace, for thought.

And the results --in both my mental well being and my technique on my musical instrument-- are tremendous.

No comments:

Post a Comment