Monday, June 6, 2011

Thought as a Form of Music

Today was our last day of classes at school, and yet it didn't really feel that way. We had one of my favourite classes for last period; it's a very thought provoking course, so once we it had finished, my friends and I were all a little sad about it being over. I suppose it might've been just a way of extending the course and avoiding saying goodbye, or perhaps it was just an attempt to procrastinate and avoid actually doing work and studying for exam finals, but we ended up going to the music room at school and just hanging out, thinking, and talking about identity, life, and emotions.

We were in a music room, and we weren't exactly singing or jamming on the instruments. There were no guitar cases open, no violin bows in our hands, no clarinet reeds between our lips... And yet, there is some sort of music-like feel in the thinking that we did today. Thinking has a rhythm and a flow, much like the way music does. And when you finally pull yourself from your seat, from the conversations, from the spoken thoughts to go home and get back to your studying and day-to-day life, you carry with you the feeling of thinking, the feeling of music, the feeling of I-thought-today and I-feel-good-about-it.

There's a sort of beauty in this 'music.' It's not exactly the same as instrumental, vocal, choral, orchestral, and all the other sorts of music... It's not Classical, it's not Pop, or Hip Hop... but it's beautiful all the same, and I'm very glad that we got to experience this beautiful music this afternoon. I may have not studied for my science exam, but in all truth, this was so much worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment